The Sequel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Matthias DeWinter
Matthias DeWinter

An Imperial  summons Empty An Imperial summons

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:31 pm
It had been sometime since Matthias had graced the halls of the Opal palace the last it had been during the memorial for the late Grand Duchess. Now, Matt was here at the summons of His Majesty and he awaited his turn with him. He wasn't sure what his was about but he was a loyal subject to the crown even if it was his ex son-in-law at the helm, and would do what was asked within his power.

Sure there was still some lingering grudge against the Emperor, but he wouldn't let that interfere with Imperial duties. Matt stood wearing a fine tailored Skyywindian silk pinstripe blue suit, his wife helped him pick it out. She also made sure he cleaned up his scruff as his beard had gotten thick but now neat and well groomed to report.
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII
Emperor of The Known Universe

An Imperial  summons Empty Re: An Imperial summons

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:21 pm
Though many years had past since his divorce from Hayden, old wounds never really closed and in the case of Ceres and Matthias, not only had old wounds been ripped open but salt had been poured in them and allowed to fester. The young Emperor could never ever forget the underhanded tactics or the bitterness of Hayden in those months after their divorce. The children they had sired were used as weapons no only to try and bend his will but to try and usurp his House too. It was hard to forget all of the scorn that had been poured upon him, but equally, Ceres understood that he was far from innocent in the entire affair.

Time made for a good healer and it had been many years since he'd seen either Matthias or Hayden, the Emperor could not help but wonder what would come to greet him from House DeWinter. Sat atop his throne, he did not have to wait long. As ever, the DeWinters were quite punctual and could be counted on to participate in Imperial Affairs no matter what end of the political spectrum they were on.

Watching as the Marquis DeWinter approached the edge of the dais, he could see that the years had been kind to the Marquis despite the horrors of The Collapse. In a way, it was nice to see an old face, even if it wasn't the friendliest. It did inspire hope for the future. His eyes watched them man intently as he bowed before the Throne and the man sat atop it. Despite their loss of stature, Matthias still carried himself like the Marquis of a Major. Ceres surmised it wouldn't take the Marquis long to restore his lost fortunes. As one of the more experienced members of the Imperium and given his connections, the future did look bright for Skyywind despite their perilous climes.

Greeting delivered, Ceres bade the Marquis to rise and gave him leave to meet his eyes. Given their history, the Emperor allowed Matthias the luxury of gazing upon his face for old time's sake and in recognition of his temerity and survival. The Audience Chamber looked upon Matthias with aghast but they dare not breathe a word in opposition. Out of all the Houses in the Imperium that took stage in his Audience Chamber, they were much worse off than DeWinter.

"Greetings, Marquis DeWinter and welcome to Kaitain." Ceres intoned politely, gazing down on his former father-in-law. "Tell me how do you and yours fare these days?" He inquired, making a genuine inquiry while also fishing for information that hadn't been revealed to him yet. "All is well on Skyywind, I hope?"
Matthias DeWinter
Matthias DeWinter

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:42 pm
Mathias slowly lifted his gaze upon the face of His Majesty, which he had seen the years that have gone by could've been kinder to him but not so bad as to completely show. He knew the man was fishing for information but unsure fully of what. He gathered some had to do with Hayden and the children but that was a path he wasn't sure of his daughter and him were estranged.

"We are faring alright, surviving," yes Skyywind was one of the luckier ones as they had a fairly stable infrastructure before the collapse but that did take it's toll on plenty on his world and it was worse on many others. He hadn't heard from his sister in a long while either hoping she fared well. "As for Skyywind we could be doing better but we will get there when the time is right."
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:46 pm
The Emperor sat back into the polished Hagal Quartz throne and fell silent a moment. It was a relief to hear that Skyywind was starting to recover and at the same time, disconcerting to receive no word of his ex-wife or the children they had sired. Ceres had no idea of the estranged relationship between Matthias and his daughter and made the assumption that he was remaining tightlipped due to their history.  He didn't blame the DeWinter Marquis for holding his tongue and decided not to press any further, at least in public.

"I am pleased to hear that Skyywind endures, your presence here is a testament to DeWinter's ability to survive." The Emperor offered a warm smile to the Marquis. "As the Empire enters the first period of recovery, I do hope the Imperium can count on the sage counsel of one of the Empire's more seasoned Councilmen?" Ceres inquired of the Marquis, attempting to discover and gain the man's aims beyond the obvious.

Last edited by Ezhar VII on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matthias DeWinter
Matthias DeWinter

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:45 pm
Matt knew Skyywind would recover as would the rest of the Imperium some places faster than others but he did want to help that process as much was in his power to do so. He heard the Emperor's reply knowing the man wasn't fully satisfied with his answer but Matt didn't know of Hayden or his grandchildren's whereabouts, she was an adult and capable on her own and if she wanted to see him again than she could.

He heard the term councilmen and figured he knew what that meant and well Matt was excited about the council which he hadn't been in a long while "I will do what I can Your Majesty to help in my capacity, I am also planning on doing my best in the Lansraad as you say I'm a seasoned member."
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:31 pm
Despite their tumultuous relationship over the years, House DeWinter was one of those Houses Ceres that liked to think of as Antique Furniture. DeWinter and Skyywind had been a vocal and active proponent of the Imperium whether it be in the Landsraad or CHOAM. They could always be counted on to vote in Council or participate in the formation of policy, and time and time again, they had also proved themselves as a voice of reason and a calming influence over the more volatile and power hungry elements of the Landsraad Council. Despite the subdued response and armed with the benefit of knowing the man for a decade, he knew that Matthias was relishing the prospect of delving into Imperial Politics once more.

"Your best is all I can ask." The Emperor responded with sincerity. As the Empire grew, Houses like DeWinter would not only be necessary but integral to the survival of the Empire. "And with a DeWinter in the mix, I look forward to seeing active Councils when they are re-opened to the public." More than anything, Ceres wanted to see the Empire recover. Having participated in its affairs, he understood its necessity even though his role was now opposed to it in a sense. The Tripod could not exist without active Councils and with an unbalanced Tripod, instability loomed overhead like an Assassin in the shadows.

Having heard what he needed to, and feeling assured that DeWinter was still useful and willing despite his presence on the Throne, Ceres felt confident that recovery would begin once those viable Houses that remained were mobilised and charged with progression. "As a boon in recognition of your survival and the integral role DeWinter has played over the past twenty-five years, you may ask of me anything you desire within reason. DeWinter is owed and I will see them rewarded for services rendered." With his piece said, the Emperor sat back to wait and hear what the Marquis might want.
Matthias DeWinter
Matthias DeWinter

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:55 am
Matt and his house would do what they could to help stabilize the Council once more along with whatever else needed to be done within his power and affluence not that there was much of the latter but things could still be done. Despite the rocky relationship he couldn't help but give his former son-in-law credit for stepping up amid the chaos, though he wouldn't admit aloud.

A boon a loftier title might be nice but was that what he wanted or needed he wasn't sure, he thought of the Imperium with it's struggles too. Arrakis would be a nice boon but did he really want that job yet, not really.
"Your Majesty, I thank you for your faith in me to help the council get back on it's feet, as for the boon, to be the new chair of the Landsraad to get it started at least if that isn't something you can give than a new title."
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:07 pm
The Emperor sat back in his Throne and considered Matthias' request at length. It was a bold and unusual move for a man who had more often than not provided a calming influence as opposed to Leadership. It surprised Ceres but also inspired a bit of hope within the young man tasked with rebuilding an Empire from the ground up. In all, he had no objection to the Marquis' request. DeWinter certainly had the wisdom and the pedigree to lead.

"Your Illustrious Excellency, while the request is within your right to make, it is not entirely mine to give." The Emperor spoke, raising his voice so that it could be heard across the vast Audience Chamber. "Even so, the Throne can offer House DeWinter Counsel. Beneath my rule, The Imperial House seeks a Landsraad capable of providing Legislation to uphold the Rule of Law and capable of self-governance. While we can not offer the position outright, should the House DeWinter acquire approval from the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood, The Spacing Guild and at least one House Major, I will instruct my Landsraad Representative to support your Claim when its doors re-open in the New Year."

Pausing a moment to allow the Marquis to consider, the Emperor leaned forward slightly. "Is my offer amiable to your Excellency?" Ceres inquired, eager to see just how much his former father-in-law wanted his desired position.
Matthias DeWinter
Matthias DeWinter

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:54 pm
"Your support would go a long way Your Majesty, should I also gain that of the Sisterhood and the guild along with a House Major's support," Matt spoke thinking if he wished to go a little further, "Your Majesty, may I perchance ask about the possibility of stepping up to a House Major position." Matt knew that with that position and the support he could go after the the chairmanship a little easier than being a House Minor. He also did know that there was chance that he would stay at his current position until proving worthiness.

"Might I ask if there is anything else you require of me or my house that can better serve the Imperium as a whole?"
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum