The Sequel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Nayla II
Nayla II

What Seabird Over the Sea? Empty What Seabird Over the Sea?

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:04 pm
What Seabird Over the Sea? QBusm7K

SHE looked older, perhaps, but still beautiful beyond the bounds of imagination. The soft folds of her green silk dress billowed as she strode into the Throne Room, and she looked miniscule as she passed between the burly lines of the Sardauker honour guard, her small bust pressed up and underlined with rows of fabulous emeralds, shoulders bare but arms covered, while a choker of pearls ringed her slender neck. Of course, her dainty hands were covered with glamorous rings of every sort.

Her smile-of-state on her lips, her chin high and head level, she looked like one who was used to entering vast regal chambers such as this. She had always been the centre of a great whirlpool of people, and the eyes of the court were no cause for her to blush. She only bore herself more proudly, feeling she was as much admired or envied as anything else.

Such fine stock was rare.

It was only as she arrived beneath the shadow of the throne (as it were), that she ducked her head, and – with extreme grace, on flexible ballerina's legs – curtseyed deeply and held the pose for several seconds. Then she stood with her hands folded neatly beneath her bust, her eyes on the reflection of the throne on the polished floor – or more specifically, on the reflection of the Emperor. The light in the audience chamber was moderately low and strangely atmospheric, and in her very manner of standing there, sparkling, there was an intensity, a potential, as if she might break into a dance to impress and entertain the court.

Who could see her and not adore?

“Her Illustrious Excellency, the Marquise Elena Ganeva of the planet Denya VII,” the page declared, and even his usually bland announcer's voice betrayed a hint of admiration, or at least anticipation.

Ceres knew well who she was. Things between them had grown warmer over the years, although they had not always been on the best of terms. But even he, who had once despised her, she had managed to win over. Nevertheless, she was determined to show him the utmost respect in public, particularly at this vital turning point after the disasters of The Collapse. This was an Emperor she had and would support. This was an Emperor who was married to one of her vassals and best friends. This was an Emperor who could rule in a way that the spineless Darius had never managed.

“And how may I serve the crown, Your Imperial Majesty?” she asked, eyes still turned down, curious to find out the exact goal of this Imperial summons, and fully aware that politics was no easy game; that many difficulties lay ahead. But she was eager to carry on with the playing.

Last edited by Nayla II on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII
Emperor of The Known Universe

What Seabird Over the Sea? Empty Re: What Seabird Over the Sea?

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:09 pm
In a theme that was common with Ceres among the Houses of the Landsraad, the young Emperor had not always shared the best relationships with Nobility of the years. To this day he harboured famous grudges that only served to grow more bitter over time. In others though, attitudes had mellowed and allowed for understanding. In the case of Elena Ganeva, he could remember the poor introductions and its root cause with clarity as he gazed upon the Marquise from the comfort of his Throne. As ever, the issue that aroused the most intense reactions from the Emperor concerned his beloved wife, Lilya. Many years ago, she had "borrowed" his spouse for an important espionage assignment. Though right to be concerned for his then fiance's safety, that isn't what had bothered him, Elena's prior lack of consultation had.

Thankfully by and large due to the efforts of Lilya and Evgeniya Asimova, Ceres and Elena's relationship had moved past the fractitious beginnings and evolved into something much more meaningful over the years. Beyond his initial views, the Marquise had commanded his respect for the way she handled herself on public forum. He recalled one particular instance in which she had defended the Empress Alexia's Authority and Honour against the vicious tirades of a rabid Regional House in the Sysselraad's. The way she had cut lashes across Lasombra with her skillfully worded responses and iron cast arguments had been rivetting. Though he would never admit it aloud, Ceres had adopted her as rolemodel of sorts, respecting her style and hoping to be as level headed as her in his own dealings at the start of his reign.

While the Emperor respected Elena and her capability, he was also very wary of her and he acknowledged it through his own views on the Marquise. Even now as he looked down upon a woman short in stature, he could see a very powerful figurehead, all the more so given her ties to her former Siridar and Mentor. Her popularity could become very problematic down the line, if allowed to run unchecked, Ceres could very well be forced to move against her. There was much at play and stake as the Emperor leaned forward to address the famous beauty.

"Your Illustrious Excellency, welcome to the Imperial Palace. I am pleased to receive you." Ceres spoke kindly but neutrally upon the curtsied beauty. "For the Services you have provided unto the Realm I would ask you to meet my eyes as I render upon House Ganeva deserved gratitude." Waiting until the Marquise Ganeva had complied with his request, the Emperor inclined his respect and proceeded. "Excellency, without a doubt, your deeds in the latter stages of the Muadru Incursions deserve to be heralded and acknowledged throughout the Realm. Before we begin, may I ask how do you and Denya VII fare in these early days of recovery?"

Nayla II
Nayla II

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 pm
CERES was right, of course, Elena had made mistakes in the past, and one of them had resulted in his wife being badly injured by a point-blank pistol shoot. Lilya might have died in an alleyway outside a strip-club in Kuri, and – if she had – things might have turned out very differently for everyone involved.

As was often the case, Elena had rode her luck, and things had turned out well for her finally.

Whether she would be able to say the same about the Muadra conflict one day, she did not know. Probably not. It had been so devastating. This was the second war she had lived through in her life. She hoped it would be the last. There was nothing like a war to make you appreciate the times of peace. Being back on Denya now that peace was back at last and the Muadra had been crushed, was a relief, it really did feel good.

But she had lost so much. Friends and allies had died or been ruined, her daughter's father, her old flame Marka Ragnos, was dead. The love of her life, Alexander Radentia, was... gone. She could only be grateful for those who remained. She could only hope that Alexander might return one day.

She kept the smile-of-state on, of course, she kept up the political act, she was always an exemplary stateswomen and leader. She looked healthy and rosey cheeked and smiling and confidant about the future; but it was just an act. Things had been very hard. And she had to keep believing that Alexander would return, or it would break her.

As it was, the war had not hit Denya as badly as many of the other planets of the Imperium. Most of the fighting that the Ganevan army had done had been on Thanis and Arrakis, and to a lesser extent on Kaitain, although there had been some space battles and bombardment of Denya. Nonetheless, she had lost nearly all her solari and Spice reserves, and she barely had a full-strength battalion left to field any more. There was a huge recession and her planets were barely protected, their populations had been thinned dramatically. Not to mention the culture shock. It would take years to get things back to where they had been before the war began, both politically and economically.

Everything was uncertain, and – with the destruction of Radentia – she had few allies, if any.

Elena looked up at Ceres – or Ezhar, rather. It was quite strange to see him there. She had always known that Lilya had been destined for something great. Even before she had met her, she had known it in a dream. Still, it was strange to know that the Fenrings were now the most powerful people in the Imperium. Her vision could not see very far into the confusion of the future that lay ahead, but she had faith that the Imperium would recover under their guidance, come what may. And it looked as if Ezhar was getting to be at home in that throne, that dauntless translucent throne of Hagal quartz.

“Things on Denya are fine, thank you, Your Imperial Majesty,” she replied, betraying little of her unease, once she had thanked him for his compliments, “Or as fine as can be expected. We are beginning to recover. Having surveyed the scene thoroughly with my advisors, I sincerely believe that it will just be a matter of time.

“My daughter is healthy and growing up, and for that alone I am thankful. For myself, I am in good health, and simply grateful to have seen the end of the war. It was a tough bloody campaign, but, well... here we are.” She pushed her fingers apart in an expansive gesture as she spoke.

“May I be so bold as to inquire about your own health, Your Imperial Majesty, and that of the Empress?” she added.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum