The Sequel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen

The Harkonnen Journey Empty The Harkonnen Journey

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 pm
After their ship's arrival, Baron Nikolai and his wife Lady Carole of House Harkonnen left the spaceport to go to the famous Opal Palace. Since several centuries they were not involved with the imperial politics and it's problems. House Harkonnen was an ambitious family and this century was very different from the before ones for them. They were more powerful and determined this time. Baron Nikolai had no idea about the new Imperials of this century. This was the first meeting between them. Despite their unbroken pride and hubris, the latest Harkonnen rulers were more cautious than their predecessors. House Harkonnen was faced with a long term imperial mandate  3000 years ago and Nikolai's ancestors told him too many things about those dark years. And he was knowing what will he do very well now. But Harkonnen rage was not decreased in time. They always wanted the throne but couldn't gain it. The only difference was intelligence now...

Baron Nikolai saw the representatives of Great House Tanaka before the meeting with the emperor. He was aware of their dislike for them but his only action was bowing his head and greeting them respectfully. This kind of things were not important for the Baron Harkonnen. They were humiliating by the Landsraaad and Imperial House since the bttle of Corrin. But he would strangle them all in a spoon of water when the time comes. He was a Harkonnen after all.

The Baron and his wife Carole arrived at the palace. The Imperial House was aware of their presence at the palace. The Baron waited for a ceremony at least an attendant for themselves....

The Harkonnen Journey D77a7111    The Harkonnen Journey 122113

Last edited by Baron Nikolai Harkonnen on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII
Emperor of The Known Universe

The Harkonnen Journey Empty Re: The Harkonnen Journey

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 pm
The Harkonnens throughout Ceres' lifetime had always been presented as a bit of a mixed bunch. He had known them as Humanitarians and solari hungry gluttons, and he had known evil that had tried to kill him while he slept beside his wife. Indeed at one point when he served as Duke Atreides, Baron Lexington had been his greatest foe. The man had abducted Hayden in broad daylight and had attempted to break her will, even going so far as to attempt to seduce her in front of his eyes while he made his first claim to the Throne. Despite their varying outlooks and styles, none of the previous Harkonnen Dynasties had stood the test of time.

Not much better could be said for Caladan or Atreides. None had heard from the Duches Atreides in well over a year. Ceres was forced to speculate and consider a Harkonnen hand in her demise. Their reappearance seemed timely.

Glancing down upon the newly arrived Harkonnen from the raised dais of the Throne, the Emperor tipped his head though the visitors would be unable to see the gesture.

"Greetings and welcome Kaitain and my home, Baron and Baroness Harkonnen." Ceres greeted his visitors, the murmur of Court falling silent as the Audience commenced. "The Opuichi sector has been quiet for some time now. Tell me, how matters fare in one of the most notable sectors of the Imperium?" He inquired, opening the engagement on a neutral footing.

Last edited by Ezhar VII on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:22 am
''Your Imperial Majesty....''

The Baron Harkonnen deeply bowed to the emperor while his wife Lady Carole dropping a kind curtsy. The emperor was calling Lady Carole as Baronnes. But Baron Nikolai was referred her as Lady Carole to the emperor in his letter. According to their rules and traditions since the Old Terra, becoming a Baronnes via marriage was not possible for a woman in the dynasty. This was explaining the value they gave to their women very clearly. The Harkonnen family was a highly patriarchal, traditional and a little bit square-toed people. In their eyes, women couldn't be equal to men. The last word was always belonged to the Baron and his Na-Baron after himself. If the Baron has no male heir then his daughters could become the next ruler as Baronnes of their house.

There was a coldness and pride in the eyes of the Baron as always but he was smart enough not to reveal himself and his true feelings to anyone.

'' It's a pleasure to meet your holy self your highness., Me and my wife Lady Carole are glad to be here. Well, we have been a bit distant from politics and public life in recent years. And that was a little good for us. I personally spend many good years with my family.''

The Baron felt into the silence after replying the emperor's questions respectfully. He was trying to talk a little as always. His eyes were looking at the floor just like his wife did.
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:12 am
Ceres noted the deliberate reference to the Baroness and the haughty attitude of her husband. Having survived a few run-ins with the infamous bunch, the Emperor had a keener understanding of Harkonnen Culture than most. He allowed the corner of his lips to curl into his signature pernicious smirk. The Harkonnen Baroness may have had a suppressed title on Giedi Prime but the Baron and his spouse were far from their home in a Palace they did not own or rule. Simply put, Standard Faufreluchal Address took precedent over the customs of every Culture in the Imperium, especially in the Throne of a Corrino Emperor. The Imperial House allowed their subjects to style themselves as they wished, to allow them the illusion of uniqueness, when in reality they were the same as and equal to the same person of their Rank and Stature. The Faufreluches were and would remain unbreakable, it was the only thing humanity had left to unite and drive them forward. In the end, Individual Custom and Culture counted for nothing before The Golden Lion Throne, it was the only way to keep things fair in their rigid caste system.

"Holy Highness, that is quite unique and unusual." Ceres commented, playing the Baron at his own game. "But I don't like it." Shifting in his seat, the Emperor crossed his leg at the knee and held his tongue for a moment.

"Tell me Baroness Harkonnen, why have you and yours chosen this time to enter public affairs after spending so much time in seclusion?" He asked cogently, turning his head slowly to the Baron. "And I pose a question to you , my Lord Baron, whatever happened to your predecessor?" The Emperor asked, quite interested to learn the fate of his one time foe.

Last edited by Ezhar VII on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:51 am
Carole replied the emperor in a great respect. She was a good and silent woman. Her voice was soft but nervous.

'' My husband makes the decisions about our family and he never talks me about the politics your majesty but i think he wanted to do something to clean our tarnished family name and work hard to become a bright and productive house and a member of our imperium.''

She was nervous because she was aware of the tension in the hall. Other nobles were not friendly towards House Harkonnen as always. Even Great House Tanaka was humiliating them with their glances. And Carole did not understand why. The Baron took a word after her wife. He shrugged his shoulders and cleaned his throat before talking.

''The Former Baron Lexington is dead your majesty. Because of a ground car crash.''

He replied.
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm
The Emperor nodded his head in polite thanks toward the Baroness and returned his attentions to the Baron, hoping he wouldn't have to teach the Harkonnen another lesson in humility and precedent on open forum. "Thank you for your responses, both of you." Ceres spoke in thanks down untoward his visitors.

News of Lexington's rather anti-climatic demise left Ceres wanting a bit. That man had deserved to die in a heinous manner for what he had done but as the old saying went, why kill yourself when the you can let the land do the killing for you? The details would be checked, double-checked and triple-checked by Sardaukar Intelligence to verify to truth of the Harkonnen's statement. Secretly he hoped to find something out of order, if only for his own personal enjoyment but that was neither here nor there. All that mattered was Lexington's demise and the fact that the Emperor had one less open enemy to worry about in his early reign.

"The Harkonnen Dynasty has my sincerest condolences upon receiving news of the passing of an industrious member of Imperial Society." Regardless of what he felt in a personal capacity, the Harkonnens under Lexington had been active and productive during their time even if they were viewed with scorn. The court issued murmured condolences mimicking their Emperor before falling silent again, allowing him to continue.

"Though you have risen to claim the title of Baron, its award is at the discretion of the Crown." The Emperor said, revealing at last the reason for his summons. "Before I sanction your right to rule Giedi Prime as its Baron, tell me, what makes you worthy of Ruling an Ancient and Venerated House such as yours? What will your Harkonnen bring to the Imperium?"
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:16 pm
''Thank you imperial majesty....''

Baron thanked him but Nikolai didn’t like the emperor. The most important reason was his Atreides roots. There was a feud between two families and the emperor was Duke Ceres Atreides before his reign. Forgetting this feud was impossible for the Baron.

Nikolai was sure of that the emperor was looking for a smoking gun to hurt House Harkonnen but the Baron was not giving this to him yet.

Maybe the emperor already knew that Baron Harkonnen was one of his enemies. And it was true. Nikolai was his enemy. His ultimate goal was seeing him dead and taking his throne for his House of Harkonnen for sure but he was not powerful to do it yet. He has to be more powerful first.

''I thank you for your kind words for our former Baron Lexington, your highness. Despite his crimes you are still forgiving. I am grateful to you for that.  And of course we are very well aware of our rise or fall at the discretion of the Crown. And we cannot have any outcry against imperial will.

So i would like to answer your question your highness. As House Harkonnen, we want to create something unique to improve the imperial economy and  it’s life standards in every possible way. For example in the fields of military, technology, science or echology. But we can only do it with your blessing for sure your highness.

And if it is possible i would like to meet my other family members with your holy house. I have my son and two daughters and i am sure they would be very grateful to meet you. There will be an engagement between my son Ivan and his girlfriend Ms. Vera Achmat soon. We will be very please if you grace us with your presence.''

Nikolai took a deep breath before asking his question. He hestiated but nevertheless he asked.

''As a personal request i would like to ask you about something your majesty. Can we something to do to clean our tarnished family name ?  Maybe a commission can be created by the Landsraad and these people in the committee can research the truth about our fallen and disgraced ancestors.  Maybe it is too late for this but it is very important for us. And this effects our faith in our job we did for our imperium and we can work hard for it's future with this profit. Maybe you already know that was our ancestor Abulurd Harkonnen's wish.  We all will be very grateful if you accept my request your honourable majesty.''
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:16 am
Despite the slight err in their initial greetings, Ceres had allowed himself the luxury of thinking and hoping that this set of Harkonnen's would be different, that was until he asked them what they wanted to achieve and what they could do to help the Empire in recovery. It took all of the physical training the Emperor possessed to refrain from openly rolling his eyes once the Baron espoused his desire to clear Abulurd's name. Even if he wasn't part Atreides, the idea was ludicrous. The Butlerian Jihad had ended over eight thousand years ago and the Harkonnen were still bleating over Abulurd. Even during his own brief reign as the Atreides Duke over ten years ago now, the Harkonnen of his day were exactly the same. Maybe it was true what was said of the Harkonnen. Ceres found himself disappointed with Nikolai but he wasn't sure why.

"Be sure to offer your son and his Bride our congratulations." The Emperor responded neutrally. "My secretary will try to pencil it in to my schedule but I make no promises." Ceres was sure to add, impressing it upon the Harkonnen's and Court that the matter was undecided. Imperial Presence off-world would have to be carefully managed, Ceres did not want to repeat the mistakes of his predecessors, especially when the intended host remained an enigma.

"What the House of Harkonnen has requested is not in my power to give." The Emperor responded to their request. "As a Member of the Landsraad, you have the right to request a committee and it is up to them to grant your request." He informed the Baron, making it clear that he would not involve the Imperial House in a Landsraad matter, especially over something so insignificant compared to the real problems facing the Empire. He half expected the Landsraad to laugh the Harkonnens out of the Hall of Oratory, but time would tell what these Harkonnens were made of. "When the doors re-open in the New Year, be sure to present your petition to them and see where it leads." He suggested.

Taking a moment to refresh his thoughts, the Emperor returned to the fore of the conversation. "I see that the economic desire or prowess of the Harkonnen is not lost upon the new Dynasty at its helm. When CHOAM opens its doors in the New Year, it will require industrious Houses such as yourself to kickstart and drive the Imperial Economy. I hope we can look forward to your contributions then, too." Feeling as though he had nothing left to add after Nikolai's disappointing request and single-minded desires to restore Abulurd's good name, the Emperor leaned back in his Throne.

"Is there anything else, your Noble House would ask before the Audience draws to a close?"
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:17 pm
House Harkonnen was trying to clean it's own name not Abulurd's. The Butlerian Jihad was over but it's bad effects on this dynasty were not over yet. The Harkonnens were still humiliating by the others. Including during their first arrive at the court they faced with the mocking glances and despising attitudes. Great House Tanaka was just one of those examples.

'' Thank you, your majesty. I'm glad to hear that we have chance to clean our tarnished family name. I believe this will give us the chance of proving our Harkonnen name how honourable and noble name was.

And i as i said before. I will be very pleased to meet my family with you in the future. I am hoping to do that as a part of our official state visit tours.''

Baron Nikolai did not like the emperor so much. He just was acting in front of the Landsraad according to the rule of diplomacy. The Baron was not like the Landsraad either. But everyone needed each others in this imperium to recover it's wounds. That was a game but a mortal one.

''The last thing i need to add your majesty is House Harkonnen will work hard without stop to improve and heal our imperium. I can assure you about this matter. And i want to apologize for the grievous crimes committed by our former Baron Lexington again. We will never act like him. House Harkonnen at your and Landsraad service forever, your highness. These things were not acceptable for sure.''

Baron Nikolai puts a warm smile on his face. But everyone would know the might of House Harkonnen and what they are capable of when the time comes....
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:19 pm
Regardless of his personal feelings toward the Harkonnen, Ceres waved off the apology. "Baron Lexington's crimes were not yours. You did not rob CHOAM among many other things..." The Emperor intoned, reminding the Imperial Court of what a fully armed Harkonnen was capable of. Little did they know House Corrino had plotted the robbery alongside House Harkonnen and Moritani all those years ago... With Lexington, Darius and Salazar dead, the Emperor was the only one left who knew the full truth. "I place no responsibility for any of them at your feet, Lord Baron." Ceres went on to add, still decidedly neutral as the Baron and the Emperor parried back and forth.

"Given your explanations and your intent to form an active component in the Imperium, I do hereby acknowledge Baron Nikolai's Claim to the House of Harkonnen upon the death of Baron Lexington and grant them Siridarship of Giedi Prime. Furthermore, due to the vital importance of Giedi Prime's Mining Industries, I confer upon the House of Harkonnen the Right to Procure additional CHOAM Shares at a rate of ten percent."

Conferring his boon upon the Harkonnens, the Imperial Scribe already began drafting a Missive to the Imperial House's CHOAM Representative at Company Headquarters.

"If there is nothing else, my Lord Baron, you may take your leave and enjoy the splendours of Kaitain as my guest." The Emperor offered, giving the Harkonnen leave to speak now that he had finished.
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 pm
'' Thank you, your imperial majesty. You are too kind and generous. House Harkonnen thanks to you for your kind treatment towards itself. If is there any matter that i can help as personally please let me know. I am ready to do everything you ordered as always. Me and my wife Carole will be very pleased to stay here as your guest. And please let me to tell you this the House of Harkonnen will never fail your and the imperium. This is my word as the Baron of this house.''

He took a deep breath and continued to talk. Acting a loyal man was not an easy thing.

''There is nothing left to say your majesty. Being here was a honor for me and my wife. Thank you for giving this chance to us. As your loyal subject, i wish you a good and long reign. ' ''

Baronnes wasn't talking too much. She was a quiet woman and listening this conversation only. She wanted the best future for her husband and children. Baron Harkonnen smiled warmly towards the emperor. After Nikolai's words, the Baron and Baronnes deeply bowed again and were ready to leave.

'

Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:51 pm
"I bid your Excellencies farewell and I look forward to meeting your Family at my Coronation in the New Year." Raising a hand in farewell, Ceres instructed the Page to bring the Audience to an end.

"By The Will of His Majesty, this Audience is at an end, the House of Harkonnen may leave the Imperial Presence." The young man announced, his voice firm and clear through the gargantuan Chamber.

With nothing further to add to proceedings, the Emperor vacated the Throne and retreated to his Office in order to confer with his Advisors over the his recent Audience.
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen
Baron Nikolai Harkonnen

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 pm
Both the Baron and Baronnes smiled while they are joining to the other nobles. Baronnes Carole loved the emperor and Nikolai's prejudices were about to change due to the emperor's warm behaviors towards them but the Baron's lust for the power continued at the same time.

Fin
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum