The Sequel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Marcus Vesner

The House Vesner Empty The House Vesner

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:35 am
Marcus strode the halls of the imperial palace with the fighters grace that had only narrowly kept him alive during the ravages of the invasion of his worlds. He was dressed in his usual dress uniform, but the smile that had often graced his features was gone. War had changed Marcus it had tempered him with a hardened edge. As Marcus made his final approach to the great hall and the new Emperor he could not help, but wonder if he was marching too his death. Gone were most of his allies and their families  after all and neither himself or they had been a friend to the man who now sat upon the throne.

Even with this thought in mind though Marcus strode confidently into the Imperial audience chamber head held high that was until he reached the floor below the throne and then he bowed deeply to the Emperor.

"Your Imperial Majesty, it is my pleasure to appear at your summons. How may the House Vesner serve the Emperor?"

Marcus had no love for his new Emperor, but he did not allow it to show. Only time would tell if the man would turn into an Emperor to be respected or a fool to be crushed and so until then Marcus would play nice and bide his time.
Ezhar VII
Ezhar VII
Emperor of The Known Universe

The House Vesner Empty Re: The House Vesner

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:13 pm
In all of the years Ceres had known of him, he had always regarded the Marquis Vesner as a bit of a mixed bag. Though they had been opposed in the past, the Marquis and now Emperor had very few personal dealings in reality. Most of the enmity stirred between the two had been due to their larger and much stronger allies at the time and the issues that had divided them. Given their opposition in the past, Ceres did not know Marcus very well beyond what was already established.

A former Vassal of the Viscountess Vernius, the House Vesner had risen from an unknown Regional to command a powerful House and the countenance of venerated Houses of the Imperium. A Swordmaster by trade, he had made a name for himself by being an active and very vocal part of the Landsraad Council and an active and creative contributor bringing many new inventions to the public for purchase. Indeed Vesner had grown in popularity and assets to be able to challenge Houses in greater stature for political power in the Hall of Oratory. Had it not been for the sudden and cataclysmic Incursions and the rigours of the Collapse, Ceres surmised that it would only have been a matter of time before Vesner challenged the Majors to become one himself.

Regardless of his personal opinions, the Emperor liked to believe that Marcus Vesner, would at the very least, be an active and vocal part of Councils as before. However, due to the lack of data on the Marquis during the Incurions, he did not know what to expect of the man before him today.

"Welcome to Kaitain and the Palace, Marquis Vesner." The Emperor's voice boomed once the Marquis had been announced to Court. "Before we begin in earnest, the Imperial House would pay thanks and respect to the Protector of the Eridani Alkaurops System. Were it not for the valiant efforts of your House during the Incursions, two Fiefs vital to the Realm might have been paralyzed, or worse." Though he was unaware of the details, after Thanis was destroyed and Radentia collapsed, the Muadru quickly turned upon other Radentian Fiefdoms including Richese. Even with the technology at their disposal, Vernius stood little chance of resisting without Radentian assistance in the sector, leaving Marcus Vesner able to step in and provide the support needed to prop up their one time Siridar. After months of bitter fighting, Vesner secured the system which proved to be a turning point in the Incursion. With the industrial powerhouses of the realm restored, the war effort was finally able to come off the back foot and begin putting pressure on the Muadru Vanguard.

"Marquis Vesner, if I may, as one of the few viable Houses that remain, the state of your Excellency's House is of importance the the Throne. May I ask as to how you and House Vesner fare now that the fighting has begun to die down?"
Marcus Vesner

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:32 am
A smile almost crossed Marcus' lips as he was welcomed to Kaitain and thanked by the Emperor for his service during the Muadru conflict. It appeared old grudges were to be left behind at least for now and that definitely boded well for the recovery of the empire.

"Your Majesty no thanks is required. The House Vesner and myself did only what we had to in coming to the defense of our friends and ally's. It only saddens me that I was too late to save them."

Marcus stood again, though he kept his eyes below those of the Emperor and he pondered how to answer the man's questions. Marcus did not wish to lie, but he also did not wish to show great weakness in such an open setting.

"The House Vesner has faired better then most thankfully, but this conflict has drained our world of resources and manpower. My armies are badly fatigued and my shipyards and navy have suffered heavy casualties. Truth be told the House Vesner is a shell of what we once were. All that being said with the conflict winding down as you say our laboratories have been able to begin opening back up and we are starting to rebuild our industrial facilities destroyed in the orbital bombardment of Isis as well."

Marcus now took a breath before continuing he would not allow his emotions to get the best of him during the next part of his report.

"I thank you for also asking after my person and will gladly report I have weathered the conflict without injury. Unfortunately at this time I must report the death of my brother and the complete decimation of his fief and forces. It also brings me great sorrow that I have been unable to find my wife, although I still hold out a small hope that she is in hiding and not dead. My children fortunately are safe and sound and therefore my dynasty at least is also secure. Which is a great blessing in these turbulent times."
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum